Thursday, April 8, 2010

Review: Critical Thinking : Language Smarts C






I had never even heard of the company Critical Thinking until I joined the 2009/10 Crew. I then started flipping over to their website periodically to check out what products they sold. They looked interesting and challenging too but did not realize how well planned out and clever they are.

The book that I was sent to review is called Language Smarts Level C. this is for a 2nd grade level student. At first when my 8 year old son opened this and looked through it he was anti because of it being another writing book, until he discovered all the fun stuff it entailed. Sequencing and/or Syllables turned out to be his favorite pages.

Language Smarts covers some of these subjects required for Language Arts Education:
Rhymes and Riddles; Nouns, Pronouns, Synonyms, Antonyms; Compare and Contrast; Deductive Reasoning; Number -Word Expressions; Root words; Prefixes and Suffixes; Sentences; Capitalization and Punctuation; Friendly Letters (the art of Letter Writing no doubt lost in this day and age virtually!);Writing and Editing; Cause and Effect; Real and Make Believe; Poems; and many more ideas. For a full look at what it entails please log on to their site at http://www.criticalthinking.com/ and under Language Smarts C you will find more detail. This Language Smarts Level C book costs $39.99.

Critical Thinking has books that cover Language, Math, Phonics, Science and Logical Thinking. I noticed a book on Teaching Baby Sign too, which would have been useful when my children were younger. Mind Benders seems to be a popular series, especially in some of the other crew members, as it contains tricky logic puzzles for Pre K - 12+ and high school level students to present real life situations and problems that require solving.

As this is my first introduction to this company I will look at using Mind Benders in the future. My son likes to tackle things that challenge his mind and I think it would be perfectly good for him to try too. We have enjoyed this product and will definitely recommend this as a back-up to a basic Language Arts program or it can even be the Core Program that you use.

I would like for you to look into it even if you don’t have the money to purchase it for this year’s curriculum. The site is interesting to browse around too. There are articles on their methods, video clips for children to watch, samples of the products for you to look at. The company has won more than 100 National Awards -winners.

Please do link to the Homeschool Crew page to find out what my crew mates have discovered about all the products they were reviewing with their families this year. Thank you. The link is below:

I have been sent this product to review and it is my own opinion on the product we have used in our homeschool. I have not been paid for this review.

No comments: